Which deployment model is the right fit for you? To simplify there are two things to ask yourselves?
- Do you have any regulatory requirements regarding needing to control your own data? Are 3rd party providers allowed to handle your confidential information?
- How much integration is needed? Do you have several systems in the back-end which you need to pull the data from? Are there customizations needed to meet your business processes?
In general, if you have answered “Yes” to the above questions then On Premise would be the better deployment option for your business.
However, if you do not have regulatory issues, nor need customizations or integration to in-house systems, then software-as-a–service (SaaS) would be a viable route.
The Benefits of Cloud Deployments:
- Pay per user
- Easy for monthly budgeting
- No additional license maintenance costs
- Limited commitment, usually a one year contract
- No upfront costs needed for acquiring new servers
- Multi-tenant hosting lowers costs and makes services affordable
- Security and Service Levels Agreements (SLAs) are the responsibility of the service provider
- Patches and updates are automatically scheduled without the need for dedicated I.T. resources to run this task
- I.T. can focus on strategy and aligning business goals rather than being a break-fix shop
- Before embarking, consider doing an integration assessment. Forecast a future state of your business and do a “what if scenario planning” session.
Ask your trusted consulting partners for a “current and future state” assessment. They will look under the hood to evaluate your business processes, maturity levels and provide recommendations that make sense for your business today and for the next five years.